Google definitely biased…

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 13 03:08:54 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 13 August 2014 at 09:04:18 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 August 2014 at 08:15:33 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
>> On 08/13/2014 09:12 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:

>>> Algol - Development was paid by Elliott Brothers, Ltd.
>>>
>>> Basic - Corporate backing from all companies producing home
>>> computers in
>>> the early 80's. Microsoft was started by writing Basic
>>> interpreters.
>>>

>>> Lisp - Development was paid by Xerox PARC, Lisp Machines,
>>> Symbiotics,
>>> Texas Instruments, ...
>>>
>>> BCPL - Early development paid by MIT, further uses in Amiga OS
>>> (Commodore), Xerox PARC, ...
>>>
>>> Haskell - Many researchers are on Microsoft Research payroll
>>>
>>> Python - Zope, Google, Dropbox and all the companies paying
>>> the core
>>> developers salaries
>>>
>>> PHP - Zend and all the ISP that only allow PHP as only
>>> scripting
>>> language on their servers
>>>
>>> Prolog - I like it a lot, but popular?!? Anyway DEC, Turbo
>>> Prolog, LPA
>>> Prolog

>> D - backed by Facebook .. ok, only a couple of hundred $ :)
>
> I would say D is backed by all companies that allow the core
> team members to work on the language on their work hours.
>
> --
> Paulo

I wouldn't call it "backed" in this case. D is "used" by the
companies just like any other language, which is different from
paying core developers of the language salaries or developing a
language in house.

Bounties are some kind of backing, I agree, because people are
paid to fix things in the library / core.