dsource.org

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 15 22:16:43 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 03:20:18AM +0000, Mike via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I'm wondering if someone could give me a historical perspective on
> dsource.org:
> * What is (was) it?

It used to be a website that listed D projects... back in the days of
D1.

> * Is it still being maintained, or does it exist simply for historical
> reasons?

AFAIK, it hasn't been maintained for years.

> * Is there material on dsource.org that this community would like
> migrated to wiki.dlang.org?

I don't know.

> * Is there any desire to retire it?

I think at some point we wanted to retire it, but IIRC, somebody managed
to get a hold of the site maintainer, so presumably someone will be
updating it soon. Hopefully. Or retiring it for good.

> I found quite a bit of valuable learning material at
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tutorials/wiki#TheTutorialsProject.
> I've been studying D for about 9 months, and this is the first time
> I've seen it.
>
> I'm wondering, if I verify the examples and such still compile and are
> relevant, would this community like it migrated to wiki.dlang.org?
[...]

Probably most (all?) of the material on dsource.org are still specific
to D1, which is no longer supported. I'd say that D1 and D2 have
diverged significantly, so even if the code compiles with D2 it may not
reflect current best practices and style. You are probably better off
reading Andrei's "The D programming language", Adam Ruppe's D Cookbook,
Ali Cehreli's D textbook, or, if you feel confident, studying Phobos
source code.(*)

(*) It's actually not as scary as it sounds; D has done wonders in
making it possible to write standard library code in (mostly) very
readable and maintainable style. I've learned a great deal myself just
reading Phobos source code.

"No, John.  I want formats that are actually useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that address all questions by piling on ridiculous internal links in forms which are hideously over-complex." -- Simon St. Laurent on xml-dev