dsource.org

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 16 00:46:07 PDT 2014

On 8/16/2014 2:16 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 03:20:18AM +0000, Mike via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I'm wondering if someone could give me a historical perspective on
>> dsource.org:
>> * What is (was) it?
>
> It used to be a website that listed D projects... back in the days of
> D1.

Not just listed, but hosted.

>> * Is it still being maintained, or does it exist simply for historical
>> reasons?
>
> AFAIK, it hasn't been maintained for years.

The guy who created and maintained it was able to have it hosted on one
of his employer's servers (The Sankaty Group, in the copyright footers
of the dsource.org pages). According to his linkedin profile, he left
that company a few years back. I assume that's one reason why the
maintenance dropped off until it disappeared. I've heard that he was
still responsive to emails for a while, but for all intents and purposes
its a graveyard and he was the only one in the D community with the keys
to the gate. I can't be sure, but when Rainer finally moved VisualD to
github he may have been the last (or at least, one of the last) to still
be using dsource. There's no reason for its continued existence that I
know of other than that no one with access has killed it off yet.

>> * Is there any desire to retire it?
>
> I think at some point we wanted to retire it, but IIRC, somebody managed
> to get a hold of the site maintainer, so presumably someone will be
> updating it soon. Hopefully. Or retiring it for good.

If someone did get in touch with him, I hope they just delete it. It
serves no purpose now other than to confuse newcomers.

---