Why does D rely on a GC?

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 18 17:05:21 PDT 2014

Ary Borenszweig:

> It's very smart, yes. But it takes half an hour to compile the
> compiler itself.

I think this is mostly a back-end issue. How much time does it
take to compile ldc2? Can't they create a Rust with dmc back-end?
:o)

> And you have to put all those unwrap and types everywhere, I
> don't think it's fun or productive that way.

I've never written Rust programs longer than twenty lines, so I
don't know. But I think Rust code is acceptable to write, I have
seen code written in far worse situations (think about a programs
one million lines of code long of MUMPS).

Apparently the main Rust designer is willing to accept anything
to obtain memory safety of Rust in parallel code. And the
language is becoming simpler to use and less noisy.

Bye,
bearophile