Why does D rely on a GC?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 19 10:16:31 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 at 17:11:21 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> This is why I won't bother investing any time in it for a few
>> more years at least. It may have really cool language
>> features, big development team and famous names behind it but
>> in terms of compiler maturity it is still a very long road to
>> go until it gets even to DMD capabilities.
>
> I won't look at it again for a different reason. They're the
> types that say "A monad is just a monoid in the category of
> endofunctors, what's the problem?" but they're serious.
>
> My last interaction with Rust was when I commented that
> adoption would be hurt if they require an understanding of the
> memory model just to get started, to which they responded more
> or less that it's not a big deal. At that point I concluded the
> language was lost. I can only imagine what it will look like in
> five years.

Actually I also don't think it is a big deal. Yes, it is crucial
blocker for any "casual" adoption and will like to prevent its
adoption in web service domain, for example (in a way similar to
vibe.d) - but language has never been designed for such use
cases. It is for complicated projects with non-trivial
performance requirements and there is certain point of complexity
where educating hired programmers about  category theory may be
cheaper than dealing with maintenance in overly lax language.

It does look like a niche language but a very good one in
declared niche.