Why does D rely on a GC?

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 19 11:46:45 PDT 2014

On 08/19/2014 07:11 PM, bachmeier wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 at 16:17:02 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 at 15:16:31 UTC, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>>> Also, the list seems way too big. It's ok from a purist point of
>>> view, to make the compiler nice and clean. But that's not a good way
>>> to make a fast compiler.
>>
>> This is why I won't bother investing any time in it for a few more
>> years at least. It may have really cool language features, big
>> development team and famous names behind it but in terms of compiler
>> maturity it is still a very long road to go until it gets even to DMD
>> capabilities.
>
> I won't look at it again for a different reason. They're the types that
> say "A monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's
> the problem?"

Sure, so one should point out that problem may be made out to be that
the monoidal product [1][2] is underspecified for someone unfamiliar
with the convention (in this case it should be given by composition of
endofunctors, and the associator is given pointwise by identity
morphisms). (But of course, the more fundamental problem is actually
that this characterization is not abstract enough and hence harder to
decipher than necessary. A monad can be defined in an arbitrary
bicategory... :o) )

What do /you/ think is the problem?

>  but they're serious.

I have a hard time believing this. While it is true that those concepts
are not complicated [3], it seems to be generally acknowledged that some
carefully compressed characterization/definition alone is not usually
the most helpful introduction of them, especially so if the application
is going to be in a more concrete setting.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoid_%28category_theory%29
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoidal_category
[3] But, quite apparently, they are sometimes hard to communicate.