RFC: std.json sucessor

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 21 15:35:19 PDT 2014

Following up on the recent "std.jgrandson" thread [1], I've picked up
the work (a lot earlier than anticipated) and finished a first version
of a loose blend of said std.jgrandson, vibe.data.json and some changes
that I had planned for vibe.data.json for a while. I'm quite pleased by
the results so far, although without a serialization framework it still
misses a very important building block.

Code: https://github.com/s-ludwig/std_data_json
Docs: http://s-ludwig.github.io/std_data_json/
DUB: http://code.dlang.org/packages/std_data_json

The new code contains:
  - Lazy lexer in the form of a token input range (using slices of the
    input if possible)
  - Lazy streaming parser (StAX style) in the form of a node input range
  - Eager DOM style parser returning a JSONValue
  - Range based JSON string generator taking either a token range, a
    node range, or a JSONValue
  - Opt-out location tracking (line/column) for tokens, nodes and values
  - No opDispatch() for JSONValue - this has shown to do more harm than
    good in vibe.data.json

The DOM style JSONValue type is based on std.variant.Algebraic. This
currently has a few usability issues that can be solved by
upgrading/fixing Algebraic:

  - Operator overloading only works sporadically
  - No "tag" enum is supported, so that switch()ing on the type of a
    value doesn't work and an if-else cascade is required
  - Operations and conversions between different Algebraic types is not
    conveniently supported, which gets important when other similar
    formats get supported (e.g. BSON)

Assuming that those points are solved, I'd like to get some early
feedback before going for an official review. One open issue is how to
handle unescaping of string literals. Currently it always unescapes
immediately, which is more efficient for general input ranges when the
unescaped result is needed, but less efficient for string inputs when
the unescaped result is not needed. Maybe a flag could be used to
conditionally switch behavior depending on the input range type.

Destroy away! ;)

[1]: http://forum.dlang.org/thread/lrknjl$co7$1@digitalmars.com