Unused variables and bugs

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 22 14:46:44 PDT 2014

Timon Gehr:

> http://xkcd.com/552/

What better alternative do you suggest in practice? The only
better solution I remember that was used for a language design is
the ":" added to Python after some controlled experiments done on
users.

Relying on experimental correlations (if the analysis is done
well) seems sometimes better than the usual beers&intuition-based
ways most language features are chosen and designed :-)

Currently a group of people are trying to design a language
pushing to the extreme the idea of design by committee, it's
future a peer reviewed language meant to be used for scientific
programming. I've taken a look at its syntax and I was not happy
with the current work in progress.

Bye,
bearophile