What does the compiler really require from the runtime?

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 23 14:24:58 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 at 18:26:28 UTC, Alex wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 August 2014 at 16:55:49 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:
>> On 2014-08-19 18:31, Alex wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> Is there a list of functions and data structures, the
>>> D-Compiler would
>>> expect from a custom runtime?
>>
>> Here's a list [1]. It's probably not complete but it's a
>> start. It's best to look at the source code of the existing
>> runtime.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.dlang.org/Runtime_Hooks
>
> thanks, thats exactly what i needed :)

I think Adam's book and work from others like that DConf talk
show that there's a lot of potential for implementing lighter
runtimes for using in embedded code, kernels etc. I've considered
playing around with it myself for writing effectively C libraries
instead in D which don't require the runtime. (Further to the
"Better C" idea.) I'm not sure how practical such a thing would
be, but praticality is rarely a concern in projects I work on
just for fun, until it turns out to actually be useful.