Some Notes on 'D for the Win'

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 23 16:46:42 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 23 August 2014 at 18:29:43 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2ed9ah/some_notes_on_d_for_the_win/
>
> http://tomerfiliba.com/blog/dlang-part2/

Just spent some time reading about Nimrod.  It looks like it has
a lot of potential.

One quote from the FAQ:
"Nimrod primarily focuses on thread local (and garbage collected)
heaps and asynchronous message passing between threads. Each
thread has its own GC, so no "stop the world" mechanism is
necessary. An unsafe shared memory heap is also provided.

Future versions will additionally include a GC "per thread group"
and Nimrod's type system will be enhanced to accurately model
this shared memory heap."

Cool!

When I first started reading about D, I was quite excited (still
am, but certainly frustrated with a few things).  I never felt
that level of excitement when I read about Go and Rust.  I never
even thought about them as competitors with D.

But Nimrod has perked my interested.  It looks like much more of
a competitor with D than Go and Rust.

Mike