RFC: std.json sucessor

Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 23 18:32:47 PDT 2014

On 8/23/2014 3:20 PM, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 8/23/2014 12:00 PM, Brad Roberts via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 8/23/2014 10:46 AM, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> I feel that non-UTF encodings should be handled by adapter algorithms,
>>> not embedded into the JSON lexer, so yes, I'd drop that.
>>
>> For performance purposes, determining encoding during lexing is useful.
>
> I'm not convinced that using an adapter algorithm won't be just as fast.

Consider your own talks on optimizing the existing dmd lexer.  In those
talks you've talked about the evils of additional processing on every
byte.  That's what you're talking about here.  While it's possible that
the inliner and other optimizer steps might be able to integrate the two
phases and remove some overhead, I'll believe it when I see the
resulting assembly code.