Some Notes on 'D for the Win'

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 23 23:39:28 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 23 August 2014 at 21:52:01 UTC, eles wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 August 2014 at 18:29:43 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2ed9ah/some_notes_on_d_for_the_win/
>>
>> http://tomerfiliba.com/blog/dlang-part2/
>
> Comment:
>
> "The only thing I hate about D is the GC, I think that to
> include a GC in a system programming language like D was a very
> big mistake...
> I know it's possible to disable the GC but its standard library
> needs it so you must live with it."

Examples of real, working desktop OS, that people really used at
their work, done in system programming languages with GC.

Mesa/Cedar
https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_xeroxparcteCedarProgrammingEnvironmentAMidtermRepo_13518000

Oberon and derivatives
http://progtools.org/article.php?name=oberon&section=compilers&type=tutorial

SPIN
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modula-3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPIN_%28operating_system%29

What is really needed for the average Joe systems programmer to
get over this "GC in systems programming" stygma, is getting the
likes of Apple, Googlel, Microsoft and such to force feed them
into programming languages.

The day when Swift, .NET Native, Go (with better low level
support) are the languages on their SDKs.

It doesn't help that Singularity project died, and outside
Microsoft no one knows what Midori (its sucessor) is about.

Maybe Facebook could do an operating system in D. :)

--
Paulo