RFC: scope and borrowing

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 24 06:14:43 PDT 2014

In the "Opportunities for D" thread, Walter again mentioned the
topics ref counting, GC, uniqueness, and borrowing, from which a
lively discussion developed [1]. I took this thread as an
opportunity to write down some ideas about these topics. The
result is a rather extensive proposal for the implementation of
borrowing, and its implementations:

http://wiki.dlang.org/User:Schuetzm/scope

This is not a real DIP, but before I put more work into
formalizing it, I'd like to hear some thoughts from the languages
gurus here:

* Is this the general direction we want to go? Is it acceptable
in general?
* Is the proposal internally consistent?
* How big would the effort to implement it be? (I suspect it's a
large amount of work, but relatively straightforward.)

[1] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/lphnen$1ml7$1@digitalmars.com