Relaxing the definition of isSomeString and isNarrowString

Andrew Godfrey via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 24 11:19:44 PDT 2014

The OP and the question of auto-decoding share the same root
problem: Even though D does a lot better with UTF than other
languages I've used, it still confuses characters with code
points somewhat. "Element type is some character" is an example
from OP. So clarify for me:
If a programmer makes an array of either 'char' or 'wchar', does
that always, unambiguously, mean a UTF8 or UTF16 code point? E.g.
If interoperating with C code, they will never make the mistake
of using these types for a non-string byte/word array?

If and only if this is true, then D has done well and I'm
unafraid of duck-typing here.