Relaxing the definition of isSomeString and isNarrowString

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 24 18:29:49 PDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 06:19:44PM +0000, Andrew Godfrey via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> So clarify for me: If a programmer makes an array of either 'char' or
> 'wchar', does that always, unambiguously, mean a UTF8 or UTF16 code
> point?
[...]

In D, an array of char, wchar, or dchar always means a Unicode encoding.
Non-Unicode encodings should be represented as ubyte[] (resp. ushort[]
or ulong[], if such exist) instead.

If you want to solve a problem, you need to address its root cause, not
just its symptoms. Otherwise it's like treating cancer with Tylenol...