Some Notes on 'D for the Win'

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 24 20:15:53 PDT 2014

On 8/24/2014 3:34 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> 24-Aug-2014 23:31, Nick Sabalausky пишет:
>> On 8/24/2014 2:39 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe Facebook could do an operating system in D. :)
>>>

>> The way facebook's been growing/expanding (ex, oculus rift. Bought by a
>> social networking site? Go figure.), I wouldn't be surprised to see a
>> facebook OS some day.
>>

> Written in D, of course :)

That would indeed be a heck of a feather in D's cap. I mean, heck, PHP
is easily one of the worst languages in major use, and one of the
biggest reasons^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hexcuses people have given for using it is
"Well, Facebook is written in PHP!" - Even years after that statement
had become woefully inaccurate (half the codebase in C/C++ including
all/most of the critical stuff plus the "PHP" stuff not being normal PHP
but the third incarnation of their own rewrite - Yea, not exactly "Is
written in PHP").

Point of course being: Given what facebook "endorsement" (sort of) has
done for *PHP*, even when it wasn't even entirely true(!), imagine what
a boon *true* largescale FB usage could do for a language like D.

Or even if not, at the very least it would get people to knock it off
with the appeal-to-authority language selection arguments ;)