Before we implement SDL package format for DUB

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 25 12:35:08 PDT 2014

On Monday, 25 August 2014 at 18:31:42 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
> If only it supported comments...

Yeah, that's what I hate about JSON. It's pretty good overall,
but that's a huge deficiency IMHO - and I'd very much like to be
able to put comments in my dub package files. So, in that
respect, ASON seems like a definite improvement. However, I am a
bit wary of creating a new file format. Maybe if it's good enough
and marketed well enough, it could challenge JSON, but at the
moment, it would just be for dub, which isn't so great.

The fact that it's backwards compatible with JSON would be useful
for avoiding breaking existing dub packages, and it does sound
like it's a better format, but the fact that it's just been
created for this makes me leery. And even if we were to push it
beyond dub and try and get it accepted more widely, it's new
enough that I question that it won't need to be adjusted after
further use, since it's rare that anything complicated is done
right the first time.

So, I'm not necessarily against the idea of using ASON, but I'm
not sure that it's a good idea either.

- Jonathan M Davis