RFC: std.json sucessor

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 25 12:38:04 PDT 2014

> An adapter would solve the wrong problem here. There's nothing to adapt from and
> to.
>
> An adapter would be good if e.g. the stream uses UTF-16 or some Windows
> encoding. Bytes are the natural input for a json parser.

The adaptation is to take arbitrary byte input in an unknown encoding and
produce valid UTF.

Note that many html readers scan the bytes to see if it is ASCII, UTF, some code
page encoding, Shift-JIS, etc., and translate accordingly. I do not see why that
is less costly to put inside the JSON lexer than as an adapter.