Using D

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 25 22:59:45 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 04:03:17 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:33:00 +0000
> via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the whole separate compilation idea is going to be old
>> fashioned real soon now. It makes little sense to not have the
>> build system as a service run on a cluster and the program as
>> a database with builtin versioning.
> but i don't want to buy and setup 42 servers in my room just to
> compile
> "hello world"! ;-)

You won't, your single home computer will be enough for small
programs.  But if your code ever grows large enough to benefit
from a cluster, you'll just sign up for an account online and you
tools will automatically start sending your diffs to the remote
cluster and compiling the code there.

> and no, i will not buy all that modern BS about "clouds".

It is amazing that the "cloud" is being applied to a host of
problems, but not really to speed up building software yet.  Of
course, there's a bunch of giant corporations, like Facebook or
Google, putting their own private "clouds" to such uses, but the
vast majority of programmers just use a powerful workstation
instead, the old '80s model of software development.  That will
change.

It's not that you can't roll your own and do it on AWS right now,
it just isn't dead simple to do it off the shelf, so most don't.
And of course test runs have been increasingly pushed into these
remote clusters.  Other than a few devs with privacy and security
concerns, most will move to such a "cloud" model in the coming
years.