OT Java stuff [was Using D]

Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 26 15:07:36 PDT 2014

>> If your users are having to install things then the problem is your
>> deployment mechanism not the JVM dependency hell system. Java
>> deployments are actually really quite easy. Either you package a total
>> system with all dependencies and provide entry scripts, or you use Maven
>> Central (or increasingly BinTray) for accessing dependencies.
>>

> If I need deployment mechanisms like the ones above, then there's
> something wrong with the language. All these crutches and patches. To set
> up and test a deployment mechanism takes as long as writing the program. No
> thank you.

This is what you get with shared libraries.  If you don't want to deal with
dependencies, either A) ship a static-linked binary or B) cross your
fingers and pray.

I've found the java ecosystem to be quite well fleshed out and mature in
handling lib/jar dependencies, such that it was an unpleasant shock dealing
with C++ after years away.  Using maven, for instance, is a quick and easy
way to abstract the problems away (though it is better suited for builds
than deployments).

As D gets more support for dynamic libraries, it would be good to take
lessons from how Java and others have dealt with dependency management.