Before we implement SDL package format for DUB

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 26 19:24:21 PDT 2014

On 8/26/2014 4:53 AM, eles wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 07:12:40 UTC, ponce wrote:
>> - SDL is _whitespace sensitive_
>
> I don't like this.

That's somewhat misleading.

More accurately, SDL is newline-delimited (with backslash line
continuation). That's pretty darn simple and has an age-old history.
It's not like we're talking weird Python/JavaScript rules or anything here.

The only thing that does trip people up is that the existence of { and }
in the syntax makes people think "C-family and therefore freeform". And
then it isn't, so that makes them angry. "Yeeargh! Hulk Not Want!"
Well...or something vaguely sorta kinda like that ;)

>> - JSON has no comments, also trailing commas are disallowed
>
> To me, these are not very bad limitations. Yes, I would like comments,
> but I could leave without, especially if fields have meaningful names.

Personally, I find those, along with the syntax noise, to be the three
core pillars of JSON pain.

>> - XML is XML. I find it actually OK.
>
> I would support this. Yes, is verbose, we know that. But is a very solid
> foundation.

XML is the spawn of satan. And not the cool "rock n roll", "heavy metal"
kind of satan, or the bumbling lovable DBZ "Mr. 'Hercule' Satan" either,
but the "hey, let's write a commercial webserver in shell scripts" kind
of raw pulsating evil.