Before we implement SDL package format for DUB

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 28 02:29:39 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 at 19:30:35 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> Besides, there's nothing stopping a good editor from taking
> this:
>
> {
>     "tag1" : {
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>     }
> }
>
> And adding helper visuals (not part of the actual document) to
> display it as this:
>
> {
>     "tag1" : {
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>         ...blah, blah, blah, blah...
>     }  <i>"tag1"</i>
> } <i>{root}</i>
>
> (The <i></i> wouldn't be displayed, I just put them there to
> indicate the text inside would be visually distinguished so
> that the user finds it obvious it's not actually part of the
> document. Can't really emulate that in a NG post.)

You just acknowledged succinct languages don't scale, and the
only way to make them scale is to turn them into syntactical
equivalent of XML with closing tags. And even then more verbose
than XML itself. So what's a difference from XML if good config
language still must have XML syntax?

> I don't know why no editors ever do that.

The editors show only what's written and written is JSON, not
JSON++.