Friendly C link

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 28 11:30:07 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 28 August 2014 at 17:49:44 UTC, Vic Cekvenich wrote:
> I think interesting/relevant:
>
> - http://blog.regehr.org/archives/1180

This reminds me of how one of my coworkers suggested at one point
that it would be great if someone created cleaner, safer C - but
didn't try and add fancy features to it. For example, you have a
module system instead of the preprocessor or arrays with a length
member, but you don't add stuff like classes or a GC. The "new"
stuff int he language would basically just be cleaning up
existing features in C rather than adding anything major to it.
So, you'd get a language that's more modern and less error-prone
than C, but it's still very simple. But as nice an idea as that
might be, I doubt that such a language would stand much of a
chance. Anyone creating a new language is going to want to add
new stuff, not just clean up C. And the diehard C guys probably
would refuse to look at anything but C regardless. It at least
sounds like a nice idea in principle though. This "friendly C"
doesn't go that far, but it is essentially trying to do the same
thing - have a cleaner, more friendly version of C.

- Jonathan M Davis