[OT] EU patents [was Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types]

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 29 03:30:52 PDT 2014

Am 29.08.2014 04:15, schrieb Dicebot:
> On Friday, 29 August 2014 at 02:10:57 UTC, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Jérôme,
>>
>> On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 11:53 +0200, "Jérôme M. Berger" via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>> […]
>>> PPS: IANAL but I have had lots of contacts with patent lawyers and I
>>> have taken part in several patent disputes as an expert witness.
>>> However, this was in France so most of my knowledge applies to
>>> French law and things may be different in the US.
>>
>> Are you tracking the new EU unitary patent and TTIP activity? We need to
>> make sure the US does impose on the EU the same insane patent framework
>> the US has.
>
> Any links to quickly get into the topic? This is first time I hear about
> it.

What's really bad is that there is also CETA, which is an agreement
between the EU and Canada, and which is nothing than an inconspicuous
back door to achieve much of the same thing as TTIP. Unfortunately it
has gotten basically no media attention at all (at least in Germany,
TTIP has been mentioned several times at least), despite being ratified
soon, and despite its potentially far reaching consequences for the
western society in general.

You can get an overview on Wikipedia. Apart from the patent system and
several environmental "unifications", an especially concerning part is ISDS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_Trade_and_Investment_Partnership#National_sovereignty_and_Investor_State_Dispute_Settlements_.28ISDS.29