[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 29 04:10:07 PDT 2014

On Friday, 29 August 2014 at 02:10:40 UTC, Brad Roberts via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 8/27/2014 12:11 AM, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> In the US, filing a patent app requires about $10k and a good
> lawyer. It's not in the realm of most small entities to do.
> It's a seriously bad use of $10k.  The best defense is prior
> art, and there's a ton of it.  I say this having my name on a
> handful of applications and one granted patent.

Once the patent is granted, it would take a LOT of money to prove
that it's invalid: usually you do that when you are forced by the
fact that the patent holder has brought you in front of a judge.

A much better strategy is to file the patent office the prior art
_during_ the examination: or the patent is not granted, or it's
stated _on paper_ that the patent does not comprehend what you
have indicated as prior art, that usually it's related to your
business (and it's a no-costs action).

Well, if ignored, you can bring that action in front of the judge
at least!

So, Walter, go ahead with filing documentation to the USPO.

---
Paolo