Before we implement SDL package format for DUB

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 29 04:37:02 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 28 August 2014 at 19:47:13 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> The differences (off the top of my head, there may be more):
>
> - Nobody has to actually write the closing

True for XML too:
1. many editors already autocomplete it, no need to wonder, why
nobody implemented it;
2. if you need a new document fragment, you just copy existing
one and tweak it to new needs; and it's easier and faster this
way with succinct languages too;

> - Nobody had to keep the opening/closing in sync

Huh? Never needed that. And it's the same with json and sdl: if
you add new brace you need to go find the appropriate brace,
after which to insert new brace, and there you see lisp-style
stairway of indiscernible braces (with commas, yay).

> - The closing takes up zero bytes

I'd say, it's dwarfed by everything else especially indentation.

> - Nobody has to actually look at the closing if they want to
> reduce the visual clutter: Ie, viewing it is an optional thing.

And get lost, when it doesn't cut it.

Oh and it makes no sense to add a non-trivial editor support for
json, because it's a format buried in a dark corner of javascript
ecosystem, and even there it's used as a serialization format for
data exchange (that's because it doesn't have comments) instead
of long-living manually written documents.