[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 29 05:27:49 PDT 2014

On 29 August 2014 10:32, Chris via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> In fact, the patent looks like an explanation of how immutability works in
>> D.
>

> This is why I don't believe in "coincidence". This could be either an
> attempt to crush D or some people might have realized that D's way of
> handling immutability is the way to go and they want to own it (or both).
> Where I'm from this is called "rip-off", "theft" or just "being a c**t".

This is just FUD.

Software patents in practice are now not only of generally poor
quality, they are totally opposed to their original reason for
existence.

>From my observation (newspapers, mostly), having a software patent is
utterly useless, and not being tied to any particular network or
device just doesn't hold water nowadays in court (in varying degrees
across countries).

Iain