Before we implement SDL package format for DUB

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 30 02:37:53 PDT 2014

On Friday, 29 August 2014 at 20:54:49 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
> I would now like to invoke the Zero One Infinity
> Rule(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_one_infinity_rule).
>
> Supporting one format makes sense - DUB can simply use the set
> of functions and data structures provided by Phobos or by
> external libraries for using this format.
>
> Supporting two formats will require two sets of functions and
> data structures, and to decide a point where the two code-paths
> will be joined to a single representation of the build
> configuration. According to the ZOI rule, you might as well
> take the extra step and support infinity formats!

This might make sense from a technical point of view, but do we
want it? In the extreme case, we'd end up with a different format
for each package, though more likely will be a distribution where
most packages focus on one or two formats, but with a looooong
tail...

> This mechanism can also be used for splitting the build file -
> which can be useful if you want to have parts of it updated
> regularly by automatic tools, or to put only parts of the build
> configuration under source control. For this, different file
> names can be put in the "file" field even if they all use the
> same format, and "parser" can be omitted to read JSON files.

This is useful in any case, no matter how many formats we're
going to support.