One Stop Shop?

Sativa via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 30 12:19:46 PDT 2014

I think it would be helpful to have the d lang site host
tutorials/lessons on various aspects of D. D is hard to use for
certain things like gui's, graphics(ogl, dx, etc), etc... not
necessarily because D can't do these things but because the
information is not out there.

If The D site hosted, sort of like a wiki, but with properly
designed articles about how to do things in D, maybe more people
would start to use it?

For example,

I'd like to get into graphics and gui programming using D. I
could use something like C#.NET which would make life easier but
I don't like the drawbacks of C#.

But trying to find coherent information, say, to draw an image on
screen using opengl and D is nearly impossible... and way too
time consuming, compared to finding similar information using
C/C++ or most other popular languages.

Getting D to work in these scenarios are already complicated
enough. Usually it relies on the work of one person who hasn't
made it clear how to do it well. I know D can do graphics, I've
seen it done... I've even read some tutorials on it... but
nothing is clear, relevant, or updated.

Having a quick way to access stuff in the categories like

Sound(playing sounds, VST design)

Graphics(Gui, 2D/3D using open GL, etc...)

etc...

e.g., suppose I want to create a vst in D... google "D lang vst",
and the only relevant site that comes up is:

http://le-son666.com/software/vstd/

Woo hoo! looks like someone did the work for us!

But seriously? There is just enough information to hang myself.
Do I really want to go down this path and potentially waste
countless hours trying to get something to work that might not?

I feel many others go through the same thought processes.

If there was a wiki like site for D that is based on tutorials
and experiences/results then surely it would help a lot of
people. If people could contribute there problems or solutions in
a unified and connected way, it would be easier to find the
relevant information than it is now.

About 95% of the time when I search for something that I want to
do in D, I get a forum post... and about 15% of the time it
actually leads to something useful. Maybe bout 5% of the time it
actually solves my problem.

There is just so much junk out there and all the gems are lost.
Most of the gems need some polishing to show their true beauty.