One Stop Shop?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 31 01:44:38 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 30 August 2014 at 19:19:48 UTC, Sativa wrote:
> I think it would be helpful to have the d lang site host
> tutorials/lessons on various aspects of D. D is hard to use for
> certain things like gui's, graphics(ogl, dx, etc), etc... not
> necessarily because D can't do these things but because the
> information is not out there.
>
> If The D site hosted, sort of like a wiki, but with properly
> designed articles about how to do things in D, maybe more
> people would start to use it?
>
> For example,
>
> I'd like to get into graphics and gui programming using D. I
> could use something like C#.NET which would make life easier
> but I don't like the drawbacks of C#.
>
> But trying to find coherent information, say, to draw an image
> on screen using opengl and D is nearly impossible... and way
> too time consuming, compared to finding similar information
> using C/C++ or most other popular languages.
>
> Getting D to work in these scenarios are already complicated
> enough. Usually it relies on the work of one person who hasn't
> made it clear how to do it well. I know D can do graphics, I've
> seen it done... I've even read some tutorials on it... but
> nothing is clear, relevant, or updated.
>
> Having a quick way to access stuff in the categories like
>
> Sound(playing sounds, VST design)
>
> Graphics(Gui, 2D/3D using open GL, etc...)
>
> etc...
>

> e.g., suppose I want to create a vst in D... google "D lang
> vst", and the only relevant site that comes up is:
>
> http://le-son666.com/software/vstd/
>
> Woo hoo! looks like someone did the work for us!
>
> But seriously? There is just enough information to hang myself.
> Do I really want to go down this path and potentially waste
> countless hours trying to get something to work that might not?
>
> I feel many others go through the same thought processes.
>
> If there was a wiki like site for D that is based on tutorials
> and experiences/results then surely it would help a lot of
> people. If people could contribute there problems or solutions
> in a unified and connected way, it would be easier to find the
> relevant information than it is now.
>
> About 95% of the time when I search for something that I want
> to do in D, I get a forum post... and about 15% of the time it
> actually leads to something useful. Maybe bout 5% of the time
> it actually solves my problem.
>
> There is just so much junk out there and all the gems are lost.
> Most of the gems need some polishing to show their true beauty.

Sorry to say, but this is how a community-backed language works.
D does not have a giant corporate sponsor like C#, who can pay
for reams of documentation and tutorials.  You're expected to
like D enough to learn the language on your own
(http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html) and then either be able
to pick up OpenGL on your own (http://open.gl/) or know it
already and be able to apply D to the OpenGL API, which as a
C-style API is pretty straightforward to call from D.

Yes, it would be nice if D had a bunch of tutorials for all these
things, but they don't usually exist right now because the
community hasn't written them, for a variety of reasons including
nobody is paying for it.  It would be nice if O'Reilly or whoever
started selling such tutorials, but maybe D isn't big enough yet
for them to care.  D is still in the early stages of adoption
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations), and
since you're not getting charged lots of money for the privilege,
as you might to buy early cutting-edge hardware like Google Glass
or Oculus Rift, it will cost you time instead.

Sorry to say you'll just have to keep panning around for gems, as
that's where D is at right now.  Those of us who stick around
think the time spent is worth it.