[OT] EU patents [was Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 31 02:22:02 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 09:35 +0200, Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> Haha :*). Don't worry, we EU citizens are more concerned about
> the issues of privacy, food regulations and corporate entities
> suing states for changing laws that cause them profit losses.

This is certainly the major issue against TTIP as far as the UK Greens
are concerned. Government passes law for voters good. Company doesn't
like it because it ruins their income stream, sues government for loss
of income. Due to TTIP, government loses. Tobacco companies are going to
love this.

> A rubber stamping patent system without professionals
> investigating the claims has already been established years
> ago.

The EU patent office yes, but not the UK one. The issue here is to stop
the EU patent office becoming the only one. There is a very serious
strategy issue here and it isn't a done deal thankfully.

> All in all I am not too worried about TTIP anymore, seeing
> that the US reps didn't move in all the years of negotiations.
> With NGOs running against TTIP and an overall negative public
> stance I don't see it being bent over the knee.

TTIP and CETA are still very serious issues so people should continue to
worry. Even if there is negative public opinion, the politicians will
ram it through on the grounds they are the elected representatives, even
though in reality they are doing it because their corporate paymasters
of the future tell them to.

In the UK the government are using the Scottish independence referendum
as a smoke screen to avoid TTIP becoming news. This is a clear indicator
it is bad for voters.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk