Voting: std.logger

eles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 31 02:40:37 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 31 August 2014 at 09:34:51 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:52:58 +0000
> schrieb "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Sunday, 31 August 2014 at 06:11:56 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
>> > Am Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:09:32 +0000
>> > schrieb "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
>> > <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>:

> I still don't see it fly even theoretically. The "stdlog" will
> be an interface with an arbitrary implementation behind it. A
> file logger will eventually hit a "disk full" state and throw
> an exception.

Why would that be the sole outcome? There are several strategies
to cope with that, maybe through a special logger.

For example:
- start writing over the old logs transparently (because,
usually, the most important logs are the most recent ones)
- simply fake logging, but not logging anything more (keeping all
history and simply discard anything that comes after the disk is
full)

These could be solved easily, by catching the exception and
either processing it (the first strategy), either by ignoring it
(the second strategy).

But it matters to have the functionality by default.