rdmd - No output when run on WebFaction

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 31 02:59:27 PDT 2014

Am Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:01:23 +0000
schrieb "David Chin" <dlcmhd at me.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> On WebFaction, my Linux shared hosting server, I created a simple
> "Hello, World!" script in a file named "hello.d".
>
> Attempting to run the script with "rdmd hello.d" yielded no error
> messages, and strangely, no output.
>
> However, the following works, and I see the output:
>
> (1) dmd hello.d
> (2) ./hello
>
> Running "rdmd --chatty hellod.d" shows D writing some files to
> /tmp folder and calling exec on the final temp file.
>
> I suspect the reason I'm not seeing any output using rdmd has
> something to do with WebFaction's security policies disallowing
> any execution on files in the /tmp folder.
>
> May I request that rdmd check, say, the environment variables tmp
> or temp for the path to write the temporary files in?
>
> Thanks!

Sorry for hijacking. I believe any program should remove what
it placed in /tmp on exit and actively manage any cached files
under /var/lib, e.g. by age or size of the cache. In the case
of rdmd, I'd even prefer to just do what most native compilers
do and place object files alongside the sources, but allow
custom object file directories. Usually I wouldn't say
anything, because endless bike-shedding ensues, but it looks
like now there is a technical argument, too. :p

--
Marco