[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 31 13:43:23 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 31 August 2014 at 19:58:03 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Could be. That is a fairly convincing article, at least for the
> "time limit" version of mixed closed/open.

Glad to hear that. :) Nobody has really tried my time-limited
version, which I believe is the final step.

> But in any case, even if one takes the Stallman "all must be
> open, period" stance, the mixed stuff is STILL a step in the
> desired direction. So regardless of whether or not mixed is the
> final end-goal, it's still a good direction to taking.

This is what guys like Stallman or ketmar don't seem to get, that
mixed-source still leads to _more_ open source, even if it isn't
_pure_ open source.  For example, the success of Android means
that there's more open source code running on computing devices
than ever before, a billion at last count, even if it's not
_pure_ open source.  As you said, that pragmatic mixed approach
has done more to advance open source than their purist approach
ever will.  And my time-limited model advances it even more, by
making sure you get the source to all the binary blobs eventually.