[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 31 22:56:34 PDT 2014

On 8/31/2014 10:15 PM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I guess it must be a "keep patent lawyers in work" scheme.

There's another aspect at work with this one. I'm a bit irked that something
Andrei and I came up with in 2007 is claimed by others to have been invented 5
years later. A number of features pioneered by D have been showing up in other
languages, and D has not been acknowledged.

I'm happy to acknowledge ideas from other languages that have made it into D,
and it is right for other languages to reciprocate.

What I don't intend to do is patent D's innovations. What D has done is our gift
to the programming community. I'm also glad we're using github, as it is a fine
way to document and timestamp the provenance of D's features.