Need help deciphering posix.mak

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 1 06:06:55 PST 2014

On Thursday, 27 November 2014 at 21:41:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:30:49PM +0200, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 23:17:34 +0300
>> Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Okay, so I'm prepping up a SCons build of Phobos. It comes
>> > along
>> > rather nicely, I've replicated most of posix.mak
>> > paraphernalia in
>> > ~150 LOC that does work for both Windows and Linux, the rest
>> > of
>> > POSIX to follow shortly.
> [...]
>> does this mean that 'make' will be eventually dropped? oh,
>> noes...
>
> One idea I had, which is easily done in SCons, is to
> auto-generate
> makefiles for each platform.

Interesting idea, we could get the same from cmake, why using
scons instead?
Could we also generate VisualStudio project files?
Will that work for DM make?

> These generated makefiles can then be shipped as part of the
> source distribution, but they need not (and probably should
> not!) be in the git tree.

They should probably be in git, unless we teach everyone how to
use scons.
Problem with git is obviously, that people will always forget to
update the makefiles. Maybe we can let the auto-tester compare
the generated files.