Phobos - breaking existing code

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 1 08:03:03 PST 2014

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 03:51:48AM -0800, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, December 01, 2014 11:21:23 bearophile via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > Jonathan M Davis:
> >
> > > but it's still better than leaving something as deprecated
> > > permanently.
> >
> > Right, sorry, I meant disabled.
> > But I don't like to keep those things disabled permanently, they
> > eventually should be removed.
>
> I agree. I do think that we should strive for stability and backwards
> compatibility, but if we're getting rid of something, then I think
> that we should actually get rid of it at some point. That's part of
> why we have the deprecation process that we have.
[...]

I agree that if we're gonna remove something, we should actually
*remove* it, not just leave an empty husk behind forever cluttering the
code. That's why I suggested lengthening the deprecation cycle. But
OTOH, how long can you drag out the deprecation process before it
essentially becomes needless cruft that we're forced to carry around
"almost forever"?

The computer is only a tool. Unfortunately, so is the user. -- Armaphine, K5