LogLevel [was std.experimental.logger formal review round 3]

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 4 03:49:52 PST 2014

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 11:02:39 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> It's a nice idea for generic feature testing flags, but it's a
> lot of implementation work in the compiler. And it seems odd to
> implement a big part of a library in the compiler.

I think D lacks a generic project configuration mechanism. I
generally want configurations to be located in one or at least a
few files that are easy to modify and which can have tools
written for them. So yes, this should not be written for logger
alone.

I don't know how much work it is for the compiler, but I suspect
a lot of it could be written as a compiler extension in D that
communicates with the C++ compiler core.

It would be very useful for server programmers to be able to swap
configuration for the whole program on a live server when you
detect a problem. Third parties could create a GUI tool for
managing configuration settings with automatic transfer of new
bitpatterns over tcp/udp, or even automatic rebuilds.