Do everything in Java…

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 4 06:12:32 PST 2014

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 13:48:04 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It's an argument for Java over Python specifically but a bit
> more general in reality.

A fun read, and I see his POV. It is a pity Python does not
include some static typing, but I think he undervalues the access
to a REPL! I think Swift is being a bit innovative here by having
a REPL built into the debugger. Good move, wish I had a project
that was suitable for it (but requiring ios8 makes it DOA for
now).

For speed… I dunno. In the cloud you can run Python on 10
instances with little effort, so 10x faster is often not so
important if development is slower. Cloud computing has changed
my perception of speed: if you can partition the problem then
Python is fast enough for low frequency situations…

I think the main benefit of prototype based dynamic languages
like javascript is forward-compatibility and mixed type
containers. By being able to "patch" the prototype you can make
IE9 support new functionality by emulating newer features like
"classList"… That's pretty nice. Java on the browser turned out
to be a disaster…

> This stood out for me:
>

> !…other languages like D and Go are too new to bet my work on."

I did not find that odd, they are not perceived as stable and
proven. Go is still working on finding the right GC solution.