Do everything in Java…

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 4 06:40:09 PST 2014

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 14:25:52 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> I rather pay for just one instance.

That depends. What makes Go and Python attractive on AppEngine is
the fast spin up time, you only pay for 15 minutes, and it scales
up to 100 instances transparently. With java you need multiple
idle instances 24/7 because the spin up is slow.

> Honestly, I could never see an use for Python outside shell
> scripting.

Not having static typing is a weakness, but not as bad as I
thought it would be when you learn how to deal with it.

Dropbox likes Python enough to develop a JIT for it according to
this blog:

https://tech.dropbox.com/2014/04/introducing-pyston-an-upcoming-jit-based-python-implementation/

So I'd say it all depends.