Do everything in Java…

Ary Borenszweig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 4 09:11:21 PST 2014

On 12/4/14, 10:47 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> It's an argument for Java over Python specifically but a bit more
> general in reality. This stood out for me:
>

> !…other languages like D and Go are too new to bet my work on."
>

> http://www.teamten.com/lawrence/writings/java-for-everything.html

Very interesting read. But the world of humans still has time to grow
and evolve, and humans always try to do better, you can't stop that.

He says Java is verbose and "so what?". Well, couldn't it be less
verbose and still be that good?

Could you be very DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) in a language that's
statically typed, but with good type inference and very good
performance, superior to those of VM languages?

Yes, you can. You shouldn't stop there. OK, use Java now, but don't stop
there. Try to think of new ideas, new languages. At least as a hobby. If
Python makes you happy and Java not, but Java gets the work done, who
cares? I don't want to spend my time in the world being unhappy but
doing work (which probably isn't for my own utility, and probably isn't
for anyone's *real* utility), I'd rather be happy.

Just my 2 cents :-)