On heap segregation, GC optimization and @nogc relaxing

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 5 02:14:02 PST 2014

On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 23:22:04 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> I don't think this is solving the same problem as Marc's
> proposal so I'm not sure how comparing them make sense. Marc's
> proposal is about manipulating data without having ownership.
> This defines ownership.

Indeed. But both combined add too much complexity to be feasible
and thus we need to decide what problems are more important to
solve. I think one from Marc has wider application while elements
of yours can be more suitable as hidden implementation detail.
Though now there is also DIP69 and I need to seriously shake them
all through my head before having any true opinion :P

> This proposal add some complexity, but I do think this is a
> winner. Right now we have various type qualifier (mutable,
> const, immutable, shared, const shared, inout, inout shared).
> This come at a cost, and, ultimately, as the proposal interact
> with this, you want to compare the total complexity with the
> total benefit.

I respectfully can't agree that shared qualifier truly exists in
current language implementation. Thus perspective is a bit
different. Also const/inout don't actually tell anything about
how underlying data is managed and serve as secondary utility
qualifiers.