Do everything in Java…

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 5 10:21:53 PST 2014

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 03:11:29PM +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> be used. All I'm saying is that sometimes unit tests are sold as the
> be all end all anti-bug design.

I'm not sure where you heard that from, but even the name itself should
already have given it away -- it's *unit* testing, not global testing.
Even in the best, most ideal case, you can only prove things about that
*unit* of code, it says nothing about what happens when you put them
together to form the entire system. There are many ways to put
perfectly-functioning components together that results in a
malfunctioning system.

Also, while unittests do help to catch many bugs, it's certainly not an
"anti-bug" design. There is no such thing! As we all (should) know,
there is no such thing as a bug-free system. The best you can do is to
reduce the total number of bugs; by their very nature, complex systems
are far too complex for us to fully weed out every possible failure.
Anyone selling this or that methodology as the be-all and end-all of
solving your bug woes is merely pandering snake oil. :-D

> I think they should be used sensibly not everywhere.

Certainly.

I think Debian's doing something wrong, `apt-get install pesticide', doesn't seem to remove the bugs on my system! -- Mike Dresser