Do everything in Java…

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 5 11:52:24 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-05 at 05:12 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 04:49:02AM +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 02:39:49 +0000
> > deadalnix via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > Also relevant:
> > > http://wiki.jetbrains.net/intellij/Developing_and_running_a_Java_EE_Hello_World_application
> > i didn't make it past the contents. too hard for silly me.
>
> Whoa. Thanks for the link -- I was actually at some point considering
> maybe to get into the Java field instead of being stuck with C/C++ at
> work, but after reading that page, I was completely dispelled of the
> notion. I think I would lose my sanity after 5 minutes of clicking
> through those endless submenus, typing out XML by hand (argh), and
> writing 50 pages of Java legalese and setting up 17 pieces of
> scaffolding just to get a Hello World program to run. Whoa! I think I
> need therapy just skimming over that page. This is sooo over-engineered
> it's not even funny. For all their flaws, C/C++ at least doesn't require
> that level of inanity...
>
> But of course, if I could only write D at my job, that'd be a whole lot
> different... :-P

Hopefully this all being stated in jest since anyone considering using
JavaEE for a Hello World micro-service is either trying to introduce
people to the JavaEE workflow for big applications or has a deep agenda,
possibly involving Spring Boot or general hatred of Java.

As a counter example let us consider Ratpack where the complete Hello
World micro-service (*) is coded as.

    "Hello, World!"
}

(*) This term is now mandatory for fashion reasons.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk