Do everything in Java…

paulo pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 5 12:56:59 PST 2014

On Friday, 5 December 2014 at 18:46:12 UTC, Jonathan wrote:
>> JEE is the evolution of distributed CORBA applications in the
>> enterprise, with .NET enterprise applications being the
>> evolution of DCOM.
>>
>> Both games that C++ lost its place at.
>
> What about zeromq with C++ or even resorting to simple internal
> REST protocols. I've yet to see a valid argument that DCOM (not
> sure about COBRA) offer a tangible benefit over simpler
> approaches. Thoughts?

I am yet to enconter any project using zeromq.

The whole issue is the infrastructure you can get from such
eco-systems for large scale deployments.

For example, you a standard way across multiple operating systems
to:

- message queues, including mainframe systems
- monitoring
- scheduling
- user security, including integration with existing systems and
multiple authentication levels
- database drivers
- package aplications and deliver them across the cluster
- load balancing schemes
- web development frameworks
- batch processing
- orms
- meta-programming
- cluster based cache systems
- web apis

In C++ you would need to cherry pick different sets of libraries,
without guarantees of compatibilities across them, with different
semantics.

And they still wouldn't cover the whole functionality.

Then you will be fighting with compilation times, memory errors
and so on.

--
Paulo