Need help deciphering posix.mak

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 5 14:30:20 PST 2014

05-Dec-2014 03:02, Trent Forkert пишет:
> On Thursday, 4 December 2014 at 19:52:12 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> 04-Dec-2014 18:32, Dicebot пишет:
>>> Please no additional 3d-party dependencies for D core tool stack.
>>
>> What are current 3rd-party deps? Dependency on DMC make and compiler
>> is already there, GNU make is not installed by default on FreeBSD.
>>
>> What would you suggest we do?
>
> Do what many large open source projects do: support multiple build
> systems. There is no reason that the addition of SCons/CMake build files
> to DMD would require the removal of the existing makefiles. It just
> means somebody has to do a little maintenance when source files are
> added/removed/renamed.

There is no point in having to maintain both. The whole idea to use
other (sane) build system instead of make and so far (to me) CMake seems
like the best option because it generates next to anything else.

D is unique in its schizophrenic tendency to try hard and no have
dependencies only to introduce some subtle and stupid ones. For
instance, out-dated zlib is hard-wired, curl is bundled separately on
Windows and needs special library version of it on Linux (AFAIK), and
lastly we need C++ compiler and specifically GLIBC on Linux.

Thousands of projects use CMake, likewise SCons.
It's an arbitrary choice to support DM make and GNU make:
apt-get install build-esential
is nowhere harder then
apt-get install scons
or apt-get cmake for that matter.

Downloading DMC++ is nowhere harder then downloading SCons or CMake. In
both cases one needs to adjust PATH. Building OpenSource software on
Windows was (and still is) a PITA for most Windows developers because
they don't even know about console, PATH and how compiler actually is
invoked. NOTHING is going to change that, MS made sure developers don't
look into console at all costs.

--
Dmitry Olshansky