Do everything in Java…

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 01:24:45 PST 2014

On 12/5/2014 10:12 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 04:49:02AM +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 02:39:49 +0000
>> deadalnix via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Also relevant:
>>> http://wiki.jetbrains.net/intellij/Developing_and_running_a_Java_EE_Hello_World_application
>> i didn't make it past the contents. too hard for silly me.
>
> Whoa. Thanks for the link -- I was actually at some point considering
> maybe to get into the Java field instead of being stuck with C/C++ at
> work, but after reading that page, I was completely dispelled of the
> notion. I think I would lose my sanity after 5 minutes of clicking
> through those endless submenus, typing out XML by hand (argh), and
> writing 50 pages of Java legalese and setting up 17 pieces of
> scaffolding just to get a Hello World program to run. Whoa! I think I
> need therapy just skimming over that page. This is sooo over-engineered
> it's not even funny. For all their flaws, C/C++ at least doesn't require
> that level of inanity...

I really don't think a Hello World example is representative of the
usefulness of Java in the web. I don't see it as being over-engineered
at at all (though that is a disease Java programmers are often afflicted
with). The XML configuration allows you to be portable across web
containers and application servers, while using only the bits of the JEE
specification that you need. Anyone doing serious Java web dev, from
servlets to full-blown JEE stacks, is going to be using a Java IDE that
generates much of what is needed anyway, and will only need to tweak the
config files for customization.

I've done Java backends on a contract basis in the past. If I needed to
whip up a web app today, I'd still choose Java.