Do everything in Java...

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 01:24:55 PST 2014

On Friday, 5 December 2014 at 21:21:49 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 5 December 2014 at 20:32:54 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I agree. It's not just about conservation of resources and
>> power,
>> though. It's also about maximizing the utility of our assets
>> and
>> extending our reach.
>>
>> If I were a business and I invested $10,000 in servers,
>> wouldn't I want
>> to maximize the amount of computation I can get from these
>> servers
>> before I need to shell out money for more servers?
>
> Those $10,000 in servers is a small investment compared to the
> cost of the inhouse IT department to run them… Which is why the
> cloud make sense. Why have all that unused capacity inhouse
> (say >90% idle over 24/7) and pay someone to make it work, when
> you can put it in the cloud where you get load balancing, have
> a 99,999% stable environment and can cut down on the IT staff?
>
>> There are also certain large computational problems that
>> basically need
>> every last drop of juice you can get in order to have any
>> fighting
>> chance to solve them.
>
> Sure, but then you should run it on SIMD processors (GPUs)
> anyway. And if you only run a couple of times a month, it still
> makes sense to run it on more servers using map-reduce in the
> cloud where you only pay for CPU time.
>
> The only situation where you truly need dedicated servers is
> where you have real time requirements, a constant high load or
> where you need a lot of RAM because you cannot partition the
> dataset.

Big simulations still benefit from dedicated clusters. Good
performance often requires uniformly extremely low latencies
between nodes, as well as the very fastest in distributed storage
(read *and* write).

P.S. GPUs are not a panacea for all hpc problems. For example,
rdma is only a recent thing for GPUs across different nodes. In
general there is a communication bandwidth and latency issue: the
more power you pack in each compute unit (GPU or CPU or
whatever), the more bandwidth you need connecting them.