Do everything in Java?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 03:38:43 PST 2014

On Friday, 5 December 2014 at 23:09:56 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Go is more mature than D. They have at least 2 implementation
> and
> well fleshed out specs.
>
> Granted, it is easier in Go as the language is smaller.

Yes, the Go feature set is relative mature and they have stable
releases, but Google has advertisers as their customers so they
can drop tools any time the feel like with no effect on
customers. Chrome, Dart and PNaCl is all about securing Google
Search, providing tools for developers is a by product…

I don't trust Google until they commit to making Go available as
a supported tool to customers that they make revenue from. Google
will probably evolve Go until it fits their own needs, but once
they make it available as a supported tool on AppEngine they will
have to commit to maintaining it as a stable release. It does say
something that it has been in experimental/beta state for years
on AppEngine. At Cppcon representatives from Google clearly
stated that they could not see Go replace C++ any time soon.
Overall that sounds like Google internally does not view Go as
complete even though the Go authors think it is…