Do everything in Java…

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 6 08:15:27 PST 2014

On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 03:53:16PM +0000, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-12-06 at 07:24 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >
> […]
> > Oh, certainly I'm not expecting *all* tests to be automated -- there
> > are some things that are fundamentally non-automatable, like testing
> > look-and-feel, user experience, new feature evaluation, etc.. My
> > complaint was that the lack of automation has caused QA to be
> > completely occupied with menial, repetitive tasks (like navigate the
> > same set of menus 100 times a day to test 100 developer images, just
> > to make sure it still works as expected), that no resources are left
> > for doing more consequential work. Instead, things have gone the
> > opposite direction -- QA is hiring more people because the current
> > staff can no longer keep up with the sheer amount of menial
> > repetitive testing they have to do.
> >
> > If these automatable tests were actually automated, the QA
> > department would have many resources freed up for doing other
> > important work -- like testing more edge cases for potential
> > problematic areas, etc..
>
> On the plus side, a couple of organizations have had me in to teach
> their development staff Python so they can write scripting components
> for their UI, and teach their QA staff Python so they can script all
> the menial stuff testing away. Worked very well. So well in one case
> that the QA staff were able to have breaks and relax a bit and do
> really high quality end-user testing. HR thought they were slacking so
> sacked half of them. I think the other half of QA have now left and
> the product testing is clearly suffering relying solely on automated
> tests that are not being properly updated.
[...]

The blessing of bureaucracy at its pinnacle. :-)

There is some sign of movement in my current job in the QA department
towards automation, but AFAICT it still hasn't taken strong hold yet,
judging by the skimpiness of QA test coverage in the code changes I
submitted. One of my changes actually passed QA testing but my manager
during code review caught a negated if-condition that ought to have
caused major test failure. How it managed to pass testing is beyond my
imagination... but it's clear that test automation still has a long ways
to go around here.

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue. -- Yoon Ha Lee, CONLANG